Thursday, November 11, 2010

Zombie Portraits

Sooo basically I wanna paint people I know as zombies, which I'm excited for on a number of levels. First of all, turning people I know into zombies is awesome. Second, I get to have fun destroying anatomy and painting blood and deformity and mutilation and so on. Third, painting zombie portraits seems like a really good fit for where I'm going with my painting technically--I want to work up layers of paint and focus on texture in a figurative context, kind of like how I did with my meat paintings. The physical qualities of a zombie, with layers of rotting, peeling flesh and gross deathly colors just seems so appropriate to this direction. Ideally I'd like people to feel nauseous when they view these paintings. Maybe I'll throw rotting meat juice on them... I'm very excited for these pieces. Here's some progress shots so far for "Subject 001: C. Kovacs":




Texture, glorious texture!




The Laboratory


1 comment:

kelsey said...

ugh, those freud portraits. INSANE. i always have those pages open in that taschen book.